Direct debit payment early payment attempt

Fresh Eyes
    I pay off the full amount by DD each month, and I get an email 7 days in advance to tell me that the payment will be taken. This month, I received the email on 21st, but the DD was actioned on 23rd. It failed because there weren't enough funds in my bank account. (I haven't been notified of that, but happened to check my balance).
    I've now paid the balance via online banking, which may get there a day late because it's the weekend and I'd assumed that the payment would have been taken as normal until I happened to check.
    - Why was the DD 5 days early?
    - Will this be classified as a late payment if my manual transaction doesn't reach my account until 29th/30th?
    - Will I see another attempt to take my DD payment again tomorrow after the first one failed?

And why am I directed to this community, for which I had to register, to ask this question?? I don't want to be part of a community, I just want to know what happened with my credit card payment.
  • 3 Replies

• Verified Answer

Your Community Expert
    Verified Answer
    @johnwilliams77 Hey there, thanks for getting in touch! I'm sorry to hear about this.

It sounds like the payment fell on a weekend which resulted in us presenting for the direct debit earlier than normal (we always take full payments 5 days in advance). If you've paid manually, we won't attempt to take the direct debit again. If you receive a late payment fee, please send a private message, and we'll look into that for you.

You have the option of speaking to us via Community or calling us to discuss your account. If you'd prefer to call, you can reach the Credit Card team on 0345 300 4278 (Mon - Fri: 8am to 9pm, Sat - Sun: 8am - 6pm) and they'll be happy to help.

To speak to one of my colleagues, please choose option 2 and enter your security details, then press 0. If you don't have any details to hand, just press 0 and you will then be passed through.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

If you need to ask a question about a Tesco Bank product, you can make a post in Help & Support here

Also, feel free to Introduce Yourself!
    Fresh Eyes
    @ChristopherP Thanks for the reply. I’ll check to see what happens. The payment was due on a weekend, but the DD was actioned on the Tuesday before, 2 days after I got the 7-day notification. I’d expect it on the Friday.
    Thanks