Payment Reversal Issue

Today I received a late payment letter and £12 charge on my credit card account. I don’t often use the card - only sporadically and as I have a DD set up for the min payment I never worry about missing a payment but if I do make a purchase, more often than not I pay it all using my banking app.
    I checked my account and yes the DD is set up but the payment of £1.85 is then cancelled out by a payment reversal. So two long waits in a queue having been cut off the first time and i finally got through to an advisor. Firstly she suggested I may have insufficient funds hence the DD reversal - no, then suggested that because I hardly use the card perhaps the DD has lapsed. Perhaps someone might have told me if it had lapsed before sending a default letter and £12 charge for non payment of £1.82! She also asked me why I have a DD if I’m making online payments and suggested that was another reason it had gone wrong and asked why I had not set up a DD for the whole balance! I explained that the DD for min payment is there to avoid this exact issue! I will never miss a payment. If I choose however to pay an entire purchase off surely that is my choice? Just as I was getting really hacked off I got cut off again (another issue with EE). I can’t bear to get in a queue for a third time and would like to have an address to write to. AAAGGGGHHH. sorry just had to vent...
  • 1 Reply

Former Your Community Expert
    Hello , I'm really sorry to hear this. It may be the case that your direct debit has become dormant if it hadn't been used in some time. Normally, when a direct debit is reversed this is done by your bank, so it may be worthwhile contacting them to find out how this happened.