I am travelling to Europe and have a European Health Insurance Card. Do I still need travel insurance?

Travel insurance provides benefits over and above the medical treatment costs that are covered by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or the new replacement Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC).

EU, EEA or Switzerland
If you are travelling to countries within the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland you are strongly advised to obtain either a EHIC or GHIC. This will entitle you to benefit from the health care arrangements which exist between countries within the EU/EEA or Switzerland.

If you have Tesco Bank Travel Insurance and we agree to pay for a medical expense claim which has been reduced because you have used either a EHIC, GHIC or private health insurance, we will not deduct the excess under Section 2 of the policy booklets Medical emergency and repatriation expenses.

We also recommend you check FCDO travel advice on GOV.UK for the country you're visiting.
Was this article useful?