Credit Card

I have a Purchases and Balance Transfer Credit Card but what keeps happening is when im buying things say in shops and Online the total amount keeps coming off my Balance Transfers and im getting worried incase i need pay this ontop of my actual Credit Amount. Can anyone tell me if i will need pay my balance Transfer as well as the Credit i dont use this and have never transferred money at all to anyother Credit Cards or Store Cards (Only have Tesco Card) phoned Customer Service but they have absoutely no clue what im talking about?

I also want to know my first payment due next month see if i pay in full does my balance go back to the limit it was at when i first got the card or will i need wait a few months once i have spent all the money.
  • 4 Replies

• Verified Answer

Employee
    Verified Answer
    Thanks  sorry it's taken so long to get back to you!

All cards come with a balance transfer limit. From what you've explained it looks like your credit limit is £250. Your balance transfer limit is 95% of your overall available credit so your balance transfer availability is £235 (to cover the balance transfer fee). This limit will go down as you make purchases and the available credit reduces, so that you will always have 95% to do a balance transfer on (so if you spent £150 on the card, your remaining credit will be £100 and your balance transfer limit will become £95).

You will only need to pay back what you spend on the card - your entire credit availability of £250 could be spent entirely on purchases if you wish, but what you are able to transfer into the account from another credit card will always be 95% of the remaining credit.

So in short, going on what you are telling me, these two limits are not seperate credit limits - the £250 is the maximum you could spend on the card based on the figures you've mentioned.

Does that clear things up any?

Daniel
    Employee
    Hi ,

I'm a bit unsure of what you mean, would you mind answering a few questions?

• When you applied for the card, did you do a balance transfer? - You normally would have a purchases or balance transfer card, not both.
    • Where are you seeing your purchases coming off your balance transfers? Do you mean the available credit (what you have available to spend) is going down, or something else?

For a bit of clarity, a balance transfer is when you pay off another credit card by transferring it's remaining balance to a new one. Your available credit is your credit limit minus any payments you have put on the card and balance transfers you have carried out. You only need to pay back what you have used, not the entire limit - does this clear things up somewhat?

With regards to your second question, if you pay the balance in full, the entire credit limit is available to spend once the money has cleared. You don't need to wait longer than 3 working days for payments to clear.

Thanks,

Daniel - Customer Care
    Hi thank you for the reply to my question. I will be sure to clarify a few things for you i have the Purchase Card and Balance Transfer on the one card. I got £250.00 purchases credit and £235.00 Balance Transfer Credit but i have never used the Balance Transfer yet and when i buy something that goes down with the purchases and what i was wondering if i dont use this does that mean i need pay back both? Heres an example say i bought something at £230 that would leave me £20 on the purchases and £5 on the Balance Transfer.

With regars to your 2nd answer thats great was just wondering what would happen once i pay in full. Thats great.

I hope this clears up for you.

Thanks
    Daymien
    I made a balance transfer from my tesco cc to my Barclaycard , got emails texts ect to say it was done then looking at my account it came back in and iv still been charged transfer fee , why is this?