Long-winded account set-up

Why does it taking so long to open an On-line account? I appreciate the need for security checks, but in the cases of all the accounts I've opened with competitors in recent years they've been up and running within an hour or, at worst, three or four days. It's now ten working days – and counting – and my Tesco account still isn't active.

I had a Tesco account in 2014-15 and was in touch earlier this year about a tax certificate, and I thought that this might facilitate my ID being confirmed. I've lived at the same address for 40 years and have an excellent credit rating; only two other people have my unusual surname. I started the on-line application on June 30, but got a message that the bank would need to get in touch with me. A week later, a snailmail letter arrives requesting two forms of ID, which I send off at once, using the second-class SAE provided by Tesco. Since then, nothing.

The online application included my giving details of my High Street bank which, ironically, is part of the same group that runs Tesco Bank. I was also asked to stipulate how much money I wanted to transfer in, and that money has been hanging around earning no interest. (I do realise that it wouldn't have been much.)

After nine working days, I rang up a helpful customer agent, who told me that my ID papers had been received. Apparently confirmation that my account has been activated will be with me within another five working days, once "further checks" had been made. Then I can at last transfer money in.

When competitors communicate with me postally about a new account, I usually get a letter within two working days and as part of the validation process some stipulate that a cheque be sent to open the account, sometimes paying interest from the date of receipt.

To draw an analogy: the process is likeTesco using a horse and cart for its home-delivery service.
  • 9 Replies

• Verified Answer

Employee
    Verified Answer
    Hi 

I'm sorry to read about the experience you had while opening your account. It hasn't been an easy journey for you, and I'd like to make sure that we take on board your feedback.

To address a few of the points, in some cases we do ask for documents to be sent in before we open a new bank account. As you had been a customer previously but the account had been closed, we still have to run these checks. We run the checks electronically, and if we can certify all the details using things like the electoral register or your credit file, then we can open the account a lot quicker. I'm sorry that in this case though we had to ask for further information which delayed the account opening.

As for the transfer to fund the account, the only way we can take funds directly from another provider is via one-time or regular direct debits, which can take a few days to go active. When an account is opened, we have to send the details to your provider to establish the mandate to take the funds. I'm glad that you were able to transfer the money in using faster payment; this is the quickest way to fund the account and start earning interest.

I do agree though that this hasn't been an ideal start for you, and as I mentioned, I'd like to make sure that I pass this on to the relevant department. If you could send me a private message with your name, DOB and postcode (with the postcode formatted A B 1 2 C D), I'll send this on.
    At five o'clock this afternoon my post was delivered; it included two letters from Tesco. Goody, I thought, at last. .However one gave me a temporary pin number - which is no good until I get an account number. The other was dated July 13 and returned my two documents proving my ID and promising "We'll be in touch shortly". (Again by snailmail, no doubt; other banks use email.) NINETEEN days now since I applied for an account.
    I had similar problems setting mine up aswell.
    Yesterday I set up an account with a competitor in 20 minutes. I note another thread on this forum: "How long will it take to get my loan?" "Once we receive the paperwork, it can take two working days for them to be processed and a final decision made." So why is it taking so long to process my savings investment? I'm revising my analogy about a horse-and-cart delivery service; it's more like a Tesco store using a boy on a bike with a punctured tyre to deliver groceries.
    The acceptance letter, dated July 14, finally arrived today (the 19th), 19 days after I'd first applied. I spent ten minutes setting up security questions etc, then via the Tesco site attempted to move money in from my High Street bank, got a message that this would done in a week's time, then realised that it would be far quicker to use my bank's website to instruct it to move funds. With the last bank that provided me with this sort of account, it took three working days from a link on its website and it wouldn't accept funds any other way. There must be a way for Tesco Bank to speed up this process, using first-class post and/or email.
    Ok, my account is now up and running, but so unbelievable have I found its setting up that I would like someone from the Bank to comment. And I wonder what Tesco plc would think of all this - it hardly matches the image of Tesco Express.
    I wrote a letter to Tesco enquiring why it had taken so long to open the account and got back a longish reply. I remain unclear why Tesco, unlike its competitors, couldn't verify my ID electronically. And if the bank is so hard up that it needs to use second-class postage for everything, it could consider using email for some of its communications - as do its competitors. It would appear that it takes only two or three days to borrow from Tesco, which I would have thought was a process that needed more checks than when loaning. Fortunately I happened to be in when letters from Tesco finally arrived and was able to respond immediately - even making special trips to the post box; otherwise the process would have taken even longer. To draw another analogy: not so much Tesco Express as Costcutter. It takes experiences like this to influence one's perceptions of a carefully promoted brand image. (Mention another big brand name to me and my first thought is regular "junk mail".) And I would like to think that an organisation perceived as taking the "longest time ever" to do something would look at its operating processes.
    I've just opened an account with another bank. All done (apart from my posting a cheque) within 20 minutes. It too has links with a well-known store. Since my initial bleat, I do hope that Tesco Bank has been looking at its way of processing applications and how this can be speeded up.
    We're always looking at where we can improve things and I can assure you that you regrettably did not receive the speedy application we aim to provide. I can assure you that your comments have been fed back and we will continuously update our systems based on suggestions made by our customers - Tristan