Why are Tesco ‘unable to approve’ a loan?

Fresh Eyes
    What reason is it that the loan is unable to be approved?

Tesco email:
    Your Tesco Loan application

We're sorry, on this occasion we're unable to approve your application for a loan.

Thanks for giving us all the information we asked for.
    How we assessed your Loan application
    We look at a wide range of information for each application we receive. To make our decision we looked at the details you gave us, along with the information from credit reference and fraud prevention agencies.

You can find out more about how credit scoring works, along with contact details for the credit reference agencies here.
    Please bear in mind that making multiple applications for credit can affect your credit score. This might be an appropriate time to check the information on your credit file, before you make any more applications.
  • 3 Replies

• Verified Answer

Your Community Expert
    Verified Answer
    @Earthlyone Hey there, thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry your application was declined. Generally, we will decline an application if some of the information you have provided falls outside of our current credit policy for lending. We don't have access to the exact reason; so it's best to speak to your credit reference agency for more information.

I'm sorry for any disappointment this has caused you.

If you need to ask a question about a Tesco Bank product, you can make a post in Help & Support here

Also, feel free to Introduce Yourself!
    Fresh Eyes
    @ChristopherP

Thank you for your reply, however, I am still confused.

You say that “some of the information you have provided falls outside of our current credit policy for lending. We don't have access to the exact reason”.
    So, Tesco declines people but Tesco doesn’t know why it declines people?
    I would like to know what ‘part of Tesco’s current credit policy for lending,’ the information I have provided ‘falls outside of.’
    Also, which part of the information I provided falls outside of Tesco’s current credit policy for lending.
    The credit agencies can not provide this information, Tesco can.

My Credit File is healthy & well managed across all agencies & has been for years.
    Your Community Expert
    @Earthlyone Sorry if that wasn't clear. We (customer service reps) aren't given access to this information, however the Underwriters have declined the application after looking at the details you gave us, along with the information from credit reference and fraud prevention agencies.

If you want to appeal the decision, the links below will provide some further details.

https://community.tescobank.com/cont...sion#ckb_start

https://community.tescobank.com/cont...the-first-time