New current account Reward - does Tesco switch Citibank?

I was sent a promotional email by end of June that for switching my current account to Tesco Bank , I would be offered a reward of £100 for switching. I applied for the same , my application got approved and when the switching process came I asked the Tesco Telephone support member not to close my existing current account and carry on the switching process, she insisted that I should close my existing Citibank account to avail the reward, then I agreed for my existing account to be closed, but after some time she said she cannot Switch my Citibank account and I should have some other current account. My concern is:1) There is no mention in the promotion email that I should compulsorily close my existing current account to avail the offer2) There is also no mention in their email that they do not switch Citibank.3) I checked with Citibank if they do not allow switching , they claim they allow switching request from any bank Can anyone in the forum please advise , can I not avail the promotional offer without closing my existing account? Has anybody else faced similar issue where in your bank cannot be switched? regardsAR
  • 2 Replies

Former Your Community Expert
    Hi AR,

Thanks for your post on The Community and I'm sorry to hear there was some uncertainty after speaking with my colleague over the phone. I can confirm to receive the offer of £100, you would in fact need to close your existing current account with Citibank. This is in line with the Current Account Switch Guarantee. There can also be various reasons why a switch might not be possible from your existing bank account. Although, as you've mentioned in your message, Citibank have confirmed that they allow switching requests from any bank, there could be factors with your own account that prevents it from being switched. It's probably best to contact Citibank and have them check your account specifically.

Hope this helps.

Eileen - Customer Care
    Hi I had a current account with Loyds, I requested to switch using the Current Account Switch Service in the end of June, succesfully, but unfortunately did not get any reward on my Tessco account yet... Did I miss anything? Regards Peter