Confused about puchase Apr!

Wonder if anybody can help me this is the first time I'm actually buying a credit card and there advertising that it's 0% purchase interest but then something about free for 3months but in some places 18.9% charge I can't tell if there just trying to catch people out or not!
  • 1 Reply

Employee
    Hi ,

It sounds like you're looking at one of our purchases cards - these come with a set period of time where no interest is applied to purchases (eg. 12 months, 18 months). When an offer like this is taken up, as long as you make your minimum payment every month interest won't be applied.

When the introductory time period ends, you then start being charged interest on your purchases - this is when the 18.9% (or whatever percentage your own APR is when you accept the card) would take effect.

Purchases cards can come with introductory balance transfer offers(you would be made aware of this when you apply, or with your documentation) which normally last 3 months - meaning that for the first three months no interest is gathered on a balance transferred from another card. This introductory offer works in the same way, with interest not being applied until the offer ends and as long as minimum payments are made.

Hope this clears it up for you!
    Daniel - Customer Care