What was your first job?

View Tag Cloud
    Former Community Manager
    Happy Bank Holiday all! Hope you had a great weekend.

Recently I hit 11 years at Tesco Bank, and I can't quite believe how quick the time has passed here. It also got me thinking about my working past, so I thought I would ask the Community what there first ever job was?

My first ever proper job was in Burton Menswear as a part timer when I was 15 over the Christmas period. I ended up staying two years and actually really enjoyed working in retail. I'm a bit of a chatterbox so loved having conversations with customers around their purchases and made lots of friends from my colleagues at that time. The skills I learned from that job really has helped me my whole career.

It makes me sad to think that the whole Burtons, Top shop brand etc has closed now. When I was young, everyone wore Topshop clothes so to see this disappear from our high street. My partner actually worked in the same shop as me (at a different time).

But what was your first job? Maybe you where a Paper Boy/Girl, or worked in a local restaurant. Let me know in the comments below.
  • 18 Replies

Fresh Eyes
    At 16, I worked as a waiter; this was my first job—engaging experience, but which I would not want to repeat.
    Former Community Manager
    At 16, I worked as a waiter; this was my first job—engaging experience, but which I would not want to repeat.

When I was a student I worked in an Italian restaurant.. lasted maybe 4 weeks. Not an industry that I was very suited to!!
    Window shopper
    @RossM

First job for my sins was going door to door for a security alarm company trying to obtain leads !
    Not a great success as it was commission only!
    Former Community Manager
    @Toby-M Where there any fear tactics employed? An alarm salesman once told me that "Crime was up in my area and what was I doing to protect my family..."

I was 16 and living with my Mum...

What was your Favourite Job?
    On the look out
    For about a year I worked as a teacher in a secondary school. That was really great experience! 😎 The best part started when we shifted from zoom to Proctoredu. That was a real helper for every teacher in the school.
    Last edited by JoDispens; 20-05-22 at 23:57.
    Former Community Manager
    @JoDispens What was the best part of doing that job? I imagine it would have been hard but very rewarding.
    Window shopper
    Fear tactics is a very good term. There was a set talk to ask people yes which in essence was making them feel that it worked be wise for them to agree for an appointment with the actual sales consultant who also show them how a system worked !

@Toby-M Where there any fear tactics employed? An alarm salesman once told me that "Crime was up in my area and what was I doing to protect my family..."

I was 16 and living with my Mum...

What was your Favourite Job?
    Former Community Manager
    @Toby-M Was there some Door slammed in your face moments? I try to be as polite as I can with door to door sales people. But can imagine there are some that could be pretty rude to someone just doing their job!
    Fresh Eyes
    Congratulations on reaching 11 years at Tesco Bank! It's always incredible how time flies when we enjoy what we do.
    As for my first-ever job, it was as a part-time cashier at a local grocery store when I was 16. I, too, had a great experience interacting with customers and colleagues. It taught me valuable skills in customer service and handling transactions, which have been beneficial throughout my career.
    I share your sentiment about the changes in the retail landscape. It's sad to see some beloved brands like Burtons and Topshop disappear from the high street. Times change, but the memories and experiences from our first jobs stay with us.