Poor substitute

View Tag Cloud
  • DownHill's Avatar
    Window shopper
    As reflected in the user name I have chosen (Downhill) this is my opinion of Clubcard Pay +.

    Having had a Tesco joint bank account everything was good. With this card you either have to load lots of cash into it or constantly look at what credit you have. No option for auto top up when the balance gets low.

    I had to register my partner into a seperate account because you can't have one jointly apparently. Both of us have had purchases declined because there wasn't enough balance in the accounts.

    Through frustration I have taken out a Tesco credit card (perhaps this is what Tesco want) and I have set it up to pay the balance in full each month.

    I think this is a very poor replacement.
  • 13 Replies

  • dw4536's Avatar
    On the look out
    Quote Originally Posted by DownHill View Post
    As reflected in the user name I have chosen (Downhill) this is my opinion of Clubcard Pay +.

    Having had a Tesco joint bank account everything was good. With this card you either have to load lots of cash into it or constantly look at what credit you have. No option for auto top up when the balance gets low.

    I had to register my partner into a seperate account because you can't have one jointly apparently. Both of us have had purchases declined because there wasn't enough balance in the accounts.

    Through frustration I have taken out a Tesco credit card (perhaps this is what Tesco want) and I have set it up to pay the balance in full each month.

    I think this is a very poor replacement.

    I dont understand your point in saying you have taken out a tesco credit card because Clubcard Pay+ dont have auto-topup on low balance, as even a credit card has a (credit) account balance limit you cannot exceed, so you still have to be aware of your ongoing credit card limit balance or 'constantly look' (as you put in above) at what credit you have left in your Ctredit Csrd just like you complain you dont want to do in your Clubcard Pay+.
  • RossM's Avatar
    Community Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by DownHill View Post

    I think this is a very poor replacement.

    Hey, can I check what you mean by replacement?
  • DownHill's Avatar
    Window shopper
    The amount I can spend on my Tesco credit card exceeds what I would spend in a month so I can just use it as much as I want and the balance is taken from my bank automatically every month.

    With the Pay + I would have to load it up in advance with hundreds of pounds just to make sure transactions will go through. It doesn't automatically come out Tesco's bank account where I had my wages paid into because they have closed it down.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Pay+ is a poor replacement for my previous Tesco debit card which I had with my Tesco's current account.
  • RossM's Avatar
    Community Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by DownHill View Post

    Pay+ is a poor replacement for my previous Tesco debit card which I had with my Tesco's current account.

    Just to confirm that Clubcard Pay+ is not considered a replacement for Current Accounts, and is a digital wallet. Although it was launched in the same year that we no longer offer Current Accounts, it is not intended to be a direct replacement.

    Sign up for our Beta here

    If you need to ask a question about a Tesco Bank product, you can make a post in Help & Support here

    Also, feel free to Introduce Yourself and have fun in Off-topic too!


  • Jehu's Avatar
    Fresh Eyes
    @RossMu This answer just proves to me what I have been thinking about Tesco Bank. It does not see its service from the customers viewpoint. I agree with the OP completely. Our current accounts were closed and Payplus was promoted as a substitute. It is a very poor substitute. I hate the way it is set up to round up payments unless we switch this off.
  • JoeC's Avatar
    Your Community Expert
    Hi @Jehu, I'm sorry that Clubcard Pay+ isn't for you. I will certainly raise your comments about Round Up as feedback, which we always use to improve our products and services. Clubcard Pay+ was never promoted to be a replacement for our Current Accounts, as it has different features to a current account.
  • Elainh's Avatar
    Fresh Eyes
    I agree re the joint cards. Just hoping no issues with click n collect as I usually order and my husband collects. We had a joint Tesco Bank account that we used for shopping and fuel. I can't understand why Tesco are unable to offer Pay+ as a joint account.
  • JoeC's Avatar
    Your Community Expert
    Hi @Elainh, joint Clubcard Pay+ accounts are something which may be introduced in future, but aren't available just now. If these become available, we will announce this via this Community and all our other public channels.
  • Jehu's Avatar
    Fresh Eyes
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
    Hi @Jehu, I'm sorry that Clubcard Pay+ isn't for you. I will certainly raise your comments about Round Up as feedback, which we always use to improve our products and services. Clubcard Pay+ was never promoted to be a replacement for our Current Accounts, as it has different features to a current account.
    I haven't kept the evidence but I remember that communications about closing our current account invited us to consider Payplus. That's what I call promoting.

    - - - Updated - - -


    Quote Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
    Hi @Jehu, I'm sorry that Clubcard Pay+ isn't for you. I will certainly raise your comments about Round Up as feedback, which we always use to improve our products and services. Clubcard Pay+ was never promoted to be a replacement for our Current Accounts, as it has different features to a current account.
    Thank you. I have discovered that the round up feature is set up so that money is automatically taken and transferred to a separate account. I cannot get it back except in multiples of £5. So I have lost control of my money.