Refund of overpayment

Apprentice
    I decided to pay the full balance of my credit card a few days ago. Sadly, I clearly paid it on the same day that my automated direct debit payment was due. I have therefore paid the balance off twice and so I am in credit to the tune of nearly £160. I assumed, since it is not possible to pay more than the current balance manually (I know because I tried it a few weeks ago), that "the system" would automatically refund me the credit balance which was clearly made in error. I have not received any message to this effect and the credit balance is still there. I looked at the option of transferring the balance to myself anyway but there would appear to be a charge for doing this which obviously I would not be happy about. Should I ring the customer helpline for advice?
  • 3 Replies

• Verified Answer

Community superstar
    Verified Answer
    Hi @JoanneW

You can request a refund through online banking or the mobile app as a money transfer.
    Sometimes a money transfer fee will be applied in error. If you see this appear via online banking or the mobile app then don’t be alarmed as it will automatically refund this fee within 7-10 working days.

Hope this helps!

Warm wishes, Caz @25H
    Apprentice
    @25H Thanks for the advice. I will give it a go and cross my fingers about the possible fee!
    Joanne
    Fresh Eyes
    Hi. I have this exact same issue. I cleared my credit card balance at the beginning of the month but unfortunately there was a previous pending payment (in) that wasn't taken into account when I used the feature to pay the card through the app. The balance was cleared and then subsequently went into credit by the pending payment amount. On top of this the Direct Debit for the monthly amount was also taken automatically so I was even more in credit.

I did a money transfer for the exact amount of credit back to my current account and thought all was ok, however I now have nearly £60 in charges waiting to be paid off now!

I note that this reply (and a few others on here) mention 7-10 working days before it is automatically removed but can someone confirm this is still the case as some of these threads aren't current.

Many thanks.

Kind regards

Simon