Wrongful change of employment status

Fresh Eyes
    Hi

Tesco online offered me a £25,000 loan at 2.8%. I completed the forms and submitted a bank statement as requested. The bank statement actually showed an income 50% higher than stated in the application.

Since 1993 I have been employed as a director of 5 companies I own. Tesco told me that because I own more than 20% of each company they would class me as self employed and whilst on the phone re-did my credit application and I was declined. I have never ever been declined credit in my life and it was incredibly embarrassing as it was the other 50% I needed for my dream car. My Experian score is extremely high.

Please can someone explain to me how Tesco are allowed to change my legally employed status when I pay my taxes, NI as every other normal employee

Thank you
  • 2 Replies

Former Community Manager
    Hi @byron, its really difficult to answer that without looking at the application. However, it does sound from what you've described that the underwriters have looked specifically at your individual circumstances to come to that decision. In this situation it would be best to discuss in further detail with our loans team who can be reached on 0345 600 6016.

If you do not agree with the decision that we have made on your application you have the right to appeal. You should support your appeal by providing any additional relevant information that was not taken into account at the time of our original decision. Send your appeal to: Tesco Bank, Loans Decision Review Team, Broadway 1, 199 Renfield St, Glasgow, G2 9FE. Please note it can take 5 - 7 days to review once your documents are received.

You can read more about appeals here.
    Fresh Eyes
    Hi Ross

Thank you for your reply but drew some cash out of the company instead of the Tesco Loan

I would say however that up until last week, I was a regular customer at Tesco's but not anymore.

How Tesco can change my legal status, after being employed for 25 years beggars belief

I will certainly have as little as I can to do with Tesco