Contents Insurance and aquariums

Fresh Eyes
    Hi,

I've tried to find the answer to this question online and by calling customer services but I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I'm sorry to say that customer services were really not that helpful as I came away even more confused. I recently got an aquarium and although it's highly unlikely it'll ever happen, I want to know if I would be covered in the event of a flood? The tank is new under warranty, put onto the official cabinet and all measures met. I've even installed a wifi leak detector (I'm a worrier lol.) There's two parts to this question. Would I be covered for a full on flood if it ever happened? (hope it never does!) Like if the tank very unlikely failed. It's a very well known brand so I'm not expecting that to happen. Secondly would I be covered for the tank and any damaged items in regards to a leak/flood? I'd really appreciate it if anyone knows. 😊
  • 2 Replies

• Verified Answer

Your Community Expert
    Verified Answer
    Hey there, thanks for getting in touch. Your tank will be covered under accidental damage (provided this is included with your policy). Your property would be covered for flood if this was the result of accidental damage, however if the tank broke and flooded the property due to wear and tear of the tank or the result of something that had happened over a gradual period of time it wouldn't be covered. If you send us a private message, we'll check to see if you're covered for accidental damage.

I hope this makes sense!
    Fresh Eyes
    Hey there, thanks for getting in touch. Your tank will be covered under accidental damage (provided this is included with your policy). Your property would be covered for flood if this was the result of accidental damage, however if the tank broke and flooded the property due to wear and tear of the tank or the result of something that had happened over a gradual period of time it wouldn't be covered. If you send us a private message, we'll check to see if you're covered for accidental damage.

I hope this makes sense!

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I definitely have accidental damage cover I know that for sure. Although it's extremely unlikely I would ever need to claim on that for the tank. As for wear and tear, it's brand new so that's not going to apply at the minute. I have taken photos of the tank to show in any future event that it's been set up correctly with the manufacturers cabinet that goes with the tank etc. Hopefully I will never have to claim on either but it was just for peace of mind. Thanks for the reply! 😊