Marriage surname change with an international marriage certificate (US)

  • simonschus's Avatar
    Hi there, I am needing to change my surname on my account to my new, married name. I am aware of the documents that you need and the destination address. However, my marriage certificate was not issued by the UK but was instead issued in the US. As my marriage is not a crown document, am I able to send in a copy? The reason cited for not sending an original UK marriage certificate is due to the document being a crown document. However, presumably that logic doesn't apply to my US marriage certificate unless there is some other reason. Can I get some clarification as I'll be sending everything through international mail and want to do this only once. Simon.
  • 1 Reply

  • StephenH's Avatar
    Hi ,

    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, we were just making sure on the rules!

    Firstly, congratulations on getting married! Hope you had a great day :)

    As you said, this is not a crown document, so a certified copy is acceptable as long as it has been certified properly. Please ensure you include a cover letter with both your old and new signature on it as well.

    Thanks and if you haven't already been on your Honeymoon, then have a fantastic time!