Hello,

I need to take out a large personal loan (£11,000) for a necessary surgery due at the end of the year. I’m searching for the best repayments and interest rates, and Tescos has been voted one of the best, however I’m being rejected in eligibility checks.

I believe this is because I’ve only been at my new job since the beginning of July.

It’s a full-time role within Local Government, contracted and salaried, and I specifically fought for it to ensure that I had job stability and could pay off a loan.

My bank is willing to go through with the loan but are proposing 29% apr, nearly tripling my loan amount.

I have a good credit score and I am proactively doing what I can to keep it that way.

What’s the minimum time I would need to be in employment at my new job before I’d be considered for a loan with Tesco?

I cannot place a deposit to secure surgery dates for this year until I can access this loan. Ideally, I need repayments to be below £200/month for it to be affordable in the long term, something that’s possible with lenders if I wait a while at this new job, but I’ve already waited years between COVID redundancies and can’t personally afford to wait anymore.

Is it a steadfast rule? Or is there room for discussion with an advisor?

Thank you