Late payment fee charged despite paying off balance on time

Window shopper
    Hi, I seem to have been charged a late payment fee despite clearing the entire balance requested by the app on the day it was requested as I do every month.

I was charged £12 late fee but had paid off full amount requested on the 22nd of July via the app. Some new form of punishment for being on time and paying in full? Please explain.

- - - Updated - - -

Additional information: statement balance was due on 22nd of July and payment was indeed made on 22nd of July so I’m still unclear why I’ve been charged. Even if you refund it I’ll be getting charged months worth of interest now. Please contact me to sort this out. At very least it should recognize I’ve paid the £10 minimum payment.
    Last edited by Grainsalt; 17-08-22 at 23:46. Reason: Clarity
  • 9 Replies

Observant
    Paying on the due date is never a wise move. Your statement has this
    Please allow up to 9 business days for cheque payments to clear and 2 business days for all other payment methods.
    Window shopper
    It cleared the same day, it shows leaving my NatWest account the same day via FasterPayment and it shows in my Tesco balance having been received the same day so that doesn’t add up. Why would the app show my statement, request I pay and then when I pay the same day and it clears the same day then give me a late payment fee .. late payment by the way indicates they hadn’t received the payment by the 16th of August yet it clearly shows clearing on the 22nd of July when I was requested to pay via the app.

I have just gone in again and it says I owed £100 .. considering I sent a payment on the statement date when requested for the full amount they asked for via the app. The only thing I can think is their systems are out of sync on the statement date and the app is requesting payment too early. If that’s the case it’s a serious issue with the app if it’s asking for payment too early.
    Your Community Expert
    Hi @Grainsalt, I'm sorry to hear you've been charged a late payment fee. So we can look into this, please send a private message to @Tesco-Bank using this link.
    Window shopper
    Thanks @RobbieT I’ll do that. I suspect the new bank to bank transfer that’s been an option recently is so darn quick it comes out of the previous balance if done on the day the statement is issued for payment and requested via the app .. if so the app should probably not recommend that option if it can do that. I’ll give the link a go later ..
    Window shopper
    Sent. If it turns out paying the statement value on the statement date when it gives you the option to do in the app is the reason then that really needs to be fixed or made clear you will get a fine for paying on time.
    Window shopper
    Just wanted to update this thread. The problem is found and looks like a processing error, I'm getting the fee refunded and no interest will be charged hopefully.

The payment went through so quickly from my bank it ended up in the previous month statement even though it had been closed off for payment and the app asked for the payment on that date.

I think for the next few months I'll wait a few days before paying just because the new App to App payment system seems to pay very quickly indeed and Tesco gets a bit of time to look in to any reasons why that crossover happened.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I am currently out of the country so couldn't phone directly (my phone is being used by the family as a data hotspot on a data only sim) so I appreciate the quick turn around.

Joe
    Window shopper
    Hate to say it but even though this was resolved I did a payment for this month a couple of days later this time just to be careful and it's still insisting I haven't paid again even though the balance has reduced and I can see it in the payments. Very worried I'm going to be charged a later payment fee again for paying off my balance within a few days of receiving the statement.
    Your Community Expert
    Hey @Grainsalt, if you're referring to the minimum payment message on the mobile app, then please don't worry. Due to a recent change we've made on the mobile app when you log in, the statement minimum payment information will now always be displayed. If you've already made the minimum payment then please don't worry, there's nothing further you need to do.
    Window shopper
    Thanks @JoeC, much appreciated. I'm utterly fastidious about clearing my balance so it did worry me 😀