Re-issuing credit card due to suspicious activity

Fresh Eyes
    Hi. I have just been sent a text saying we are being sent new cards because of suspicious activity on our account. This will be the third set of cards since December. Yet when I phone Tesco, they are unable to tell me what the suspicious activity is, they can't tell as they say it's MasterCard. As an individual, you cannot query MasterCard, you get directed back to Tesco. Their system can't tell what is happening on my account! Anyone else frustrated with this issue? I have to re-enter the new details all over the place without an explanation why.
  • 1 Reply

Staff
    Hi @SiBro, thanks for getting in touch. Sometimes we'll issue you a new card if we have been notified by MasterCard that a 3rd party retailer you've previously used your card with has had some form of security breach. When we are notified of this, we must replace your card immediately. This is intended to protect you against any potential fraud.

I'm afraid MasterCard don't provide us with any information regarding which retailer has had this security breach, however, if this is an online retailer, they may email you to advise you of this. Your replacement card will arrive within 10 days of this text message, and you should begin using it straight away. Sorry for any inconvenience caused. I hope this clarifies things!