"We are closing our social media channels"

View Tag Cloud
    Just looking
    I'm currently tearing my hair out trying to give money to Tesco. I owe them money for home insurance (it auto-renewed but my credit card details were out of date). I know how much to pay, and I've been with them for years, but they are INSISTING that I phone them. For various reasons - including being in SE Asia until June - I'm not able to do this.

The only other way I have to communicate with them is through FB Messenger (and subsequently "Lithium Messenger"). However, in Lithium I received the message "Hi, We are closing our social media channels. This means you will no longer be able to message us here regarding your accounts. I appreciate this may be frustrating, however you can continue to message us digitally via Tesco Bank Community." ... and the message I sent in FB has said "Failed to send".

What has happened here? Does Tesco no longer use this communication method, or have they effectively blocked me from speaking to them online? (please know I was in no way abusive etc. Happy to share the chat history etc!).

Many thanks,
    Richie
  • 3 Replies

Your Community Expert
    @richierich Hey there, thanks for getting in touch. We have closed our social media channels which means you can no longer message us via Facebook or Twitter regarding your accounts. However, you can continue to message us here if you wish to chat to us via a digital platform.

Whilst I appreciate this will be frustrating to hear, the only you can make a card payment post-renewal is by calling us, I'm afraid. You can reach us from overseas on 0044 345 246 2904 (Mon - Fri: 8am - 8pm, Sat - Sun: 9am - 2pm). We also accept calls via Skype if this is more convenient for you. Alternatively, if you have a joint policyholder and they are in the UK, they can call us to make the payment from a card in their own name.

If you need to ask a question about a Tesco Bank product, you can make a post in Help & Support here

Also, feel free to Introduce Yourself
    !
    Just looking
    Thanks for getting back to me ChristopherP.

When you say I can contact you through Skype, do you mean Tesco has a Skype account I can call, or do you mean I can use Skype to make landline calls from abroad?

If it's the former, then please tell me your username / how to contact you. If it's the latter, I've already tried to buy credit with Skype and it all defaults to Korean and doesn't work. I've tried several different ways to call a landline from Korea and none of them work.

I don't have a joint account. So is it not possible to have someone else phone up to make a payment on my behalf?

The person I spoke to on Lithium told me that if I didn't phone up then my details would be passed on to a debt collection agency who would then pursue me legally for the money. Surely there is some way round this problem? They also told me I couldn't cancel the policy.

Thanks,
    Richie
    Your Community Expert
    @richierich Thanks for getting back to me, Richie. It would have been the latter option, but as you've outlined above you've already tried this. If you send us a private message, I'll try my best to get this sorted for you.