How to pay off regular monthly bills without paying off balance transfer

Fresh Eyes
    I have a CC that I use monthly, and pay off the balance in full each month.

I have now done a balance transfer onto the CC. The balance transfer balance comes with it a 0% interest, so long as the minimum payment is met each month.

Now, my CC balance shows a combination of monthly spends and the balance transfer balance (not surprisingly). I would like to pay off my usual monthly balance, and then the minimum amount for the balance transfer, so that I don't incur any interest payments but also do not have to pay off the full transfer balance amount.

For eg, let us say the total balance is £1000, £800 a balance transfer balance, and £200 for the regular monthly spends. Am I able to pay off £200 + a minimum amount attributable to the £800 balance transfer balance, and not incur any charges? And if so, how do I calculate what the amount should be?
  • 1 Reply

• Verified Answer

Your Community Expert
    Verified Answer
    @Carl19 Hey there, thanks for getting in touch. Purchase and Transfer balances are considered separate. To avoid paying interest on your Purchase balance you will need to clear it in full, and on time, each month. On the front page of your statement each month there is a section that states 'amount to pay to avoid interest' and this will outline what you should pay towards each balance. I hope this helps 😊

If you need to ask a question about a Tesco Bank product, you can make a post in Help & Support here

Also, feel free to Introduce Yourself
    !