Why haven't you taken my direct debit and given me a late payment fee instead?

View Tag Cloud
    Fresh Eyes
    Hi. There hasn't been a second when I haven't had a direct debit in place, but Tesco Bank has ignored it and given me a late payment fee. Please check it out and correct these errors, including any impact on my Consumer Credit Record. Thanks and please let me know.
  • 2 Replies

Your Community Expert
    @michaelbursill Hey there, thanks for getting in touch!

In my experience this only tends to happen if you've made a change to the direct debit instruction (the amount to collect) before a payment is due. In these cases a manual payment would be required and the new instruction would take effect from the following statement.

Did you make a change to the instruction?

If you need to ask a question about a Tesco Bank product, you can make a post in Help & Support here

Also, feel free to Introduce Yourself!
    Fresh Eyes
    @ChristopherP Thanks for your explanation. Yes I did change the instruction, twice, first to put a suitable cap on the previous 'full statement balance' payment temporarily, then to reinstate full statement balance. I would call it a basic system design requirement for a system that invites and allows customers to amend their payment amount, should allow them to so so without the nasty unforewarned consequence of their having no direct debit at all in place for any period, however short. It isn't normal or intuitive for an amendment to mean a direct debit cancellation. That would be nonsensical. Let me ask, do you think the system design you describe is OK? Or would you agree it is so unexpected, it amounts to a fault that must regularly catch hundreds of people out? Thanks again and so I understand properly, are you a TescoBank employee or a kind helpful fellow customer?