Home Insurance - removals cover and gap

  • RichMarsh's Avatar
    Fresh Eyes
    I am moving house shortly and will need to move into storage for 4 weeks between houses. I've looked through the policy book but I am still a little uncertain about a couple of things since my move includes a gap between houses.

    1. The policy booklet says you are covered for removals as long as a professional company moves you. Does that mean I'd be covered for BOTH removals out to storage and also from storage to new house? Obviously the removals company want to charge £400 for insurance and I don’t want to pay for that if I'm already covered.

    2. I accept my Tesco cover won't cover the 4 weeks storage period so I will need to purchase separate insurance but can I keep my house insurance active until I move into the new house to ensure continuity of cover? Technically I won't have an address for 4 weeks.

    Any pearls of wisdom would be much appreciated.

  • 1 Reply

  • Verified Answer

    ChristopherP's Avatar
    Your Community Expert
    Verified Answer
    You are covered for accidental loss and damage to your contents while a professional removal firm is permanently removing them. You are covered from your home to any other private property you are going to live in within the United Kingdom, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.

    This includes while items are being temporarily stored for up to 72 hours.

    You are not covered for loss or damage to china, glass or other fragile items.
    Loss of money, jewellery or watches.

    If you find yourself in the situation that you don't know the date you will be moving to your new home, then please call the Home Insurance team on 0345 246 2904 (Mon - Fri: 8am - 8pm, Sat - Sun: 9am - 2pm) and they'll be happy to discuss your options with you.

    If you need to ask a question about a Tesco Bank product, you can make a post in Help & Support here

    Also, feel free to Introduce Yourself