I use my Tesco credit card for everyday spending, paying it off in full each month. However, I would like to transfer a balance to it for 12 months to clear it from another card, but am conscious of being caught out by the automatic 'paying off' ordering. My questions are:

• Do I need to clear my card completely before I add any balance transfer to it? I have already paid off last month's total as normal, so have some spending on it already this month, which will be paid off as normal before the next date, but the transfer would be added to it before this time.

• If I transfer the balance (which will be under the 95% limit), am I still OK to use the card 'normally' for everyday purchases after this point? I understand that I have to pay off the purchases balance each month as normal, plus that I will have to clear the minimum payment on the balance transfer too.

I just don't want to be in the situation where I have to clear the balance transfer in its entirety before next month's bill, as it's a large amount!