Difficulties with making a credit card bill payment

Just tried to set up payment option for a regular Tesco Bank Mastercard on Nationwide. Four times round the loop using the details printed on the paying slip supplied with monthly statement (front page). Failed. Tried manual details, failed again.

Transpires the correct details are in three point type on the reverse of the paperwork. The Tesco Bank hlp guy sighed in frustration and told me management are always being told about this and nothing happens.

BTW. I also tried the contact number on the main website. That is now for overseas callers only and you get chucked off.

Does no one ever check this stuff?
  • 5 Replies

Former Community Manager
    Hi @Mikeg31 I’m sorry to hear about the confusion around which details to use when paying in, did you manage to make your payment? May I ask what number you called that would cut you off? If you attempted to use our overseas number whilst being in the UK that wouldn’t work. Full contact numbers for credit cards can be found here
    Hi,
    I've also been unable to make a Faster bank transfer to my Tesco Credit Card account, coincidentaly also from a Nationwide account. The payment sort code and account number are correct, confirmed from both the miniscule font on the reverse of the paper bill and via telephone with customer service. The credit card number was also added to the only two 'reference' text entry boxes available on the Nationwide website, but the payments simply return, almost immediately. Nationwide say it is a Tesco issue, Tesco say it should work with the correct details...I know it can be paid online by debit card, but I'd like to pay from a savings account that doesn't have a card associated with it rather than an internal Nationwide transfer and then a debit card payment. Any ideas or help appreciated.

Former Community Manager
    Hi @PM1, I'm sorry to hear that you're having an issue whilst trying to make a payment. As you have mentioned you have followed the correct process and entered the correct information, I can see no reason why this payment would not complete. We try to make paying your credit card bill as easy as possible and wouldn't place unnecessary barriers in place to do so. Have Nationwide specified in your conversations what the issue is? I would really like to ensure that yourself and any of our customers don't have the same issue for future payments. If this issue continues, can you please let us know?
    From Smarty
    Hi, glad to see from the comments left that its not only me who is finding it impossible to make a one off payment by debit card to my Tesco Credit Card. I may have to transfer my outstanding balance to another credit card and get them to pay off my Tesco Credit Card for me.
    wrote:

You can set up regular payments to your credit card by direct debit, which means you won’t have to organise a manual payment each month.

To set this up, you need to register and log in to your Online Banking; select manage account and navigate to the make a payment menu on the left hand side. Here you can select to set up and manage your direct debits or make a one off debit card payment.

Please note, it can take up to 10 working days to set up your new direct debit, so keep an eye on your online statement to make sure the first payment is taken successfully on time.

You can also transfer money from another bank. Transfer the money to sort code 400250, account number **sensitive info removed** and enter your 16 digit credit card number as the reference.

Employee
    Hi , I’m sorry you’re having trouble making a payment. Please let us know which method you’re using when paying and what error or message you’re receiving which is preventing this from going through.