Hi - I just wanted to understand this please. I spoke to one of the colleagues at Tesco Bank on the phone and I am not sure I received a good answer.

I have a credit card that is on a promotional rate for 15 months. Paid the transfer balance rate earlier this year when I switched some balances from other cards over and no further interest to be paid until it moves onto the variable rate when the promotional period ends in early 2025, if there is a balance still outstanding at that time in early 2025.

I have just made some transfers recently, outside of the promotional period, and then realised that the standard variable rate kicks in sooner than 2025. So very shortly. In fact, in August.

I am making a direct debit payment each month.

If my balance is now divided into 2 ways - one on the promotional and the other on the standard variable - which balance is my direct debit payment aimed towards first ? I was hoping towards the standard variable as that is the debt that is costing me interest ?

I should have checked because a prior credit card company I was with would allocate the payment to the highest interest bearing debt first. I think the colleague couldn't be certain that happens with the Tesco Credit Card.

Thanks