Can't close credit card account due to positive balance!

Fresh Eyes
    I accidentally double-paid my credit card, and now have ended up with a positive balance.
    I want to close the card, but I can't while it has a balance.
    I'm told I can just instigate a money transfer to send the balance back to my account, but it won't let me enter the full amount that I'm in credit - so I'll still be left with a positive balance!
    But also it says I'll be charged £485 for the privilege of transferring my own money back to me!
    How do I clear the entire balance and without being charged fees?
    I tried to find a customer service number, but it's an entirely automated system - there is no option to actually speak to a human being!
    Last edited by kenc1969; 21-08-24 at 09:55. Reason: Missed some important information
  • 1 Reply

Employee
    Hey @kenc1969, thanks for getting in touch😀.

I'm sorry you're having some trouble getting your credit balance back to close your account.

If you cannot complete this online or the app please contact our Credit Card team on 0345 300 4278 (Mon-Fri 8am-8pm) (Sat-Sun 8am-4pm). To speak to one of my colleagues, please choose option 2 and enter your security details, then press 0 on the automated service and this should allow you to speak to an agent.

I hope you get this sorted😀.