Direct debit too much

Fresh Eyes
    I've done a balance transfer from my credit card onto another card prior to when my direct debit was due but as I always pay the full balance each month by direct debit my bank is telling me that I don't have enough money for it. This is because my Tesco credit card has processed the balance transfer as well as the full statement balance.
    I was thinking that the DD would adjust to reflect the lower balance after the balance transfer. Is this the case? I don't want to pay bank charges for a failed DD when it's not necessary.
  • 1 Reply

Your Community Expert
    @Shonajane Hey there, thanks for getting in touch!

I'm sorry to hear about this. In this instance, once the transfer had completed the direct debit instruction should have been updated manually to reflect how you wished pay moving forward.

If this wasn't updated, the direct debit based on your previous instruction. If you give us a call, we'll be able to amend the direct debit, the status of your account and the next steps. It's likely you'll be told to contact your bank to reverse the direct debit, but my colleagues will explain that in more detail.

You can reach the Credit Card team on 0345 300 4278 (Mon - Fri: 8am to 9pm, Sat - Sun: 8am - 6pm) and they'll be happy to help.

To speak to one of my colleagues, please choose option 2 and enter your security details, then press 0. If you don't have any details to hand, just press 0 and you will then be passed through.

I hope you get it all sorted.

If you need to ask a question about a Tesco Bank product, you can make a post in Help & Support here

Also, feel free to Introduce Yourself
    !