Transferred too much money onto my credit card

Fresh Eyes
    The minimum direct debit payment was taken from my bank today and I accidentally bank transferred the full amount borrowed to pay it off. Obviously that would put me the minimum payment over my agreed limit. For example if I owed £100 and the minimum payment was say £30, Tesco took the £30 out of my account and I didn't realise before I bank transferred the full £100 back onto my credit card, say my credit card limit was £1000, this would obviously put me at £1030, what do I do or what will happen?
  • 1 Reply

Employee
    Hey @Savannah, thanks for getting in touch😀.

If you have a credit balance on your account, you can request a refund for your exact credit balance on your account as a money transfer. You can do this through online banking or the mobile app. Please note, you can only request a money transfer to move the amount of funds you are in credit by and not the amount refunded to you by the merchant.

For example, if you received a refund of £300 yet are in credit of £200 (showing as -£200), please only transfer the £200. I have attached a link to show you how to do this. When we process this type of refund sometimes a money transfer fee will be applied in error. If you see this appear via online banking or the mobile app then don’t be alarmed. If you’ve only transferred the exact amount you are in credit by, we'll automatically refund this fee within 7-10 working days.

Alternatively, you can contact our Credit Card team on 0345 300 4278 (Mon-Fri: 8am-9pm) (Sat-Sun: 8am-4pm) they will be happy to assist with this.

I hope this helps!

Credit Card Balance Refunds - Help and Support - Tesco Bank