Credit card - paying off kitchen finance

Good morning,

I'm in a little predicament and wondering if anyone can help. Basically I've agreed to pay a kitchen via interest free finance with Ikea and am currently within the 14 day cooling off period. I've been accepted on a credit card but yet to receive it.

Ideally I'd like to receive the card before the cooling off period expires so I can just cancel my finance agreement and pay the whole balance on my new cc as this would be more beneficial and flexible for me. However if for some reason my card doesn't arrive within the cooling off period would I still be able to pay the finance off in one on it? (The lender accepts overpayments, not too sure if it would via cc yet) Would this still be classed as a 'purchase'?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 Reply

Former Community Manager
    Hi @cossie1990 this would be down to the way the merchant considers the transaction. If the credit card was used to pay off the finance and requested you to make the payments to a sort code and account number then this would go through as a money transfer. If the amount was requested by the company asking for your credit card number then it would go through as a purchase. You may wish to contact the retailer for advice on how they would consider this transaction. I hope this information helps.