Late payment charged when Direct Debit was set up

I recently set up a direct debit on my Tesco credit card to ensure I didn't miss a payment. I did this on the 28th August. My bank confirmed that the direct debit had been set up on the 31st of August. Role forwards to the 12th of September and I am charged a late fee of £12 for non-payment. Upon reading the small print, I see Tesco gives themselves plenty of wiggle room on setting up DDs - up to 30 days. I don't understand how I was charge a late fee when my bank had been instructed regaring the DD 12 days prior. Any answers Tesco?
  • 1 Reply

Employee
    I am really sorry that you've received an unexpected fee on your account, . As mentioned, it takes up to 30 days for your direct debit to be set up initially. If this was completed online or via the mobile app then we would've advised a manual payment would be needed for that month, until we had your direct debit in place. I am really sorry for any disappointment this has caused. If you need anything further on this then please give us a call on 0345 300 4278, where my colleagues are available 24/7 and will discuss this with you - Ash