Current Account Interest Rate after 1st April 2019?

Hi, it will help in planning investments to understand how the guarenteed "until 1st April 2019" interest rate of 3% will change on all current accounts up to £3000 per account after 1st April 2019 for accounts opened in 2017. Nationwide inform their customers several months in advance of changes to their incentive rates, do Tescos Bank anticipate offering the same support to their customers to let them know if there will be a change to the current account variable rate after 1st April 2019 now or are they planning to attempt to keep customers from switching accounts to better rates by keeping the 3% incentive? Your help on this would be appreciated, thanks, David.
  • 8 Replies

• Verified Answer

Former Your Community Expert
    Verified Answer
    I'm afraid it wouldn't be possible to confirm the new rate even if this was passed to a supervisor, . We will notify customers as soon as any changes have been agreed and we wouldn't have access to this information before then unfortunately. As Ross has confirmed, we'll update our customers via the usual channels when we have further information. I'm sorry we can't answer this for you today.
    Former Community Manager
    Hi , thanks for your post. This hasn't been decided as of yet. However, I've been assured that the plan is to inform customers as early as possible about if the rate will change on 01/04/19. We will let our customers know on this forum and the usual channels. Sorry that I don't have more information for you at the moment.
    Hi, understand that your reply will be the Banks standard reply at this juncture in time but I would find it hard to believe that the bank would not plan ahead in making financial decisions, as I am trying to do. I believe from my own personal management experiences it would not be prudent to at least plan 6 months in advance for an instiution as large as yours or more e.g. Nationwide has already informed me of changes for April 2019 and beyond for my account with them?? Could you please check again that Tescos Bank has not already made the decsion on what it plans to do to maintain its customer loyalty / base; and I would appreciate to know sooner rather than later whether the 3% incentive for keeping my accounts with Tescos Bank is a good decision for me to make so I can also plan ahead as I am confident Tescos Bank has done so too! Your further help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Former Your Community Expert
    Hi , we have checked but what Ross has advised is correct. We will have this information as soon as we can, but at the moment this hasn't been decided. I appreciate this isn't the answer you hoped for.
    Thanks both Ross and Kerry for checking my original query. Could the request be passed up the line to supervisor or beyond level? as I do still believe that a decision must have been made at director level or Tesco Bank to me is leaving itself open to poor planning accustations? Thnaks again for your time on this essential query from one of your customers (pretty sure other customers would like to know theanswer too!). Kind regards, David.
    FCA rules require a minimum of 2 months' notice before an interest rate reduction on this type of account.
    Former Community Manager
    Hi , we recently wrote to our customers informing them about the change which will happen on the 14th of June rather than the 1st of April. You can read more about this here.
    Fair enough. The date is in my diary to clear off. Thanks for letting me know. Bye.