Car Insurance - Problem Setting up New Policy

Just looking
    Hi all, looking for some assistance regarding setting up a new car insurance policy. I have obtained the quote, and want to go ahead and purchase, at which point it asks for the registration number. But when I enter the registration number, it says that my car hasn’t been found and to check my details. It’s a new car, being delivered on 4 February, and the dealer tells me that they wont be submitting the registration on the DVLA system until 1 February, ready for delivery on the 4th. I phoned up the call centre, and was told that it wasn’t a problem, they would enter the registration number manually. But it’s a cherished number I am putting onto the new car, and whenever she tried to enter the number, it defaulted back to my old car (from which I have removed the cherished number) and wouldn’t let it proceed. The advice I got was to wait until the dealer has registered the new car, but that’s not going to be until the day of delivery, and I don’t want to risk not being insured on the first day because there is still a delay in updating the DVLA database. Anyone got any suggestions on how to overcome this ? Thanks in advance
  • 1 Reply

Your Community Expert
    Hi thanks for getting in touch. You would need to wait until the car has been registered on the DVLA website before we can arrange this for you. I'd suggest contacting us between the 1st - 4th of February, to ensure it has been registered on their end. Once it’s been registered, we can then update it to your cherished number plate. I’m sorry we couldn’t arrange this any sooner, as our systems are linked with the DVLA’s, it has to be registered there first. You can reach our Car Insurance team on 0345 246 289. Our opening hours are 8am - 9pm Mon - Fri and 9am - 5pm Sat – Sun.