Why can't I email Tesco Bank?

Employee
    Hi 

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post.

We are unable to use email as a method of communication as it's not secure.

Our contact details are shown on our website. Please see the link enclosed for future reference.

http://www.tescobank.com/help/contact_us.html

Hope this helps,

Vanessa - Customer Care
    A secure messaging system within the banking website would be a good development, like some other banks/building societies have to get the fact email isn't secure.
    Employee
    Hi 

Thanks for your post.

We are always looking at ways to improve our service for our customers. I will be sure to pass on your comments as feedback.

Have a nice day :)

Vanessa - Customer Care

I've been thru this subject with TescoBank, and have been somewhat dissatisfied with the response. Reason being that I am DEAF, so using a telephone is very inconvenient. My view is that by not offering alternative to telephone TescoBank could unfortunately in breach of legislation concerning discrimination of disabled users: http://www.out-law.com/page-330 TescoBank could potentially find themselves defending an unwinnable case should someone step forward to submit a claim. I can't believe the original response that "email is insecure". Yes, definitely it is and it should never be used for cross-server communication of sensitive data. However, IF the web site provided an embedded online form under SSL then any content would remain secure with theTescoBank domain. HSBC do this, so do NutMeg. Why do TescoBank think that normal secure Internet doesn't work for them?
    Employee
    Hi 

Thanks for your message, I’m sorry you are unhappy with the response you got. Our customers can contact us in a variety of ways, however secure web chat isn’t something we currently offer.

When discussing your account with us, this needs to be done securely over the telephone or via letter. We do have a minicom system and also offer typetalk for customers with hearing difficulties to contact us.

Our Credit card team can be contacted on 0345 671 0676 for our minicom service and are available Monday –Sunday 9am – 5pm

Our contact number for typetalk is 18001 0345 300 4278 and are available 24/7

Hope this helps,

Vanessa – Customer Care
    Helper
    Both CapitalOne and Santander offer a secure message facility and I am sure there must be other Banks as well. It would be a great step forward if Tesco used this much more convenient service. Sadly the inability to contact Tesco (other than by phone) has resulted in me returning my credit card and will close the account in due course (the reduction in Clubcard points was another factor).
    Employee
    I'm sorry to hear that you are closing your account .

We are always looking to improve our services and also provide a wide variety of channels for customer's to contact us with any queries. E-mail is the only channel we don't support at this moment in time. This is because it is not secure enough to discuss account specific information and, as you may be aware, is frequently used by individuals to send members of the public Phishing e-mails.

Recently we have taken all our customer's thoughts and suggestions on board to update our telephone numbers from 0845 to 0345 numbers which are deemed "mobile friendly" (subject to your mobile provider) and are also included in some landline packages (again see your provider for details).

If you have any general questions regarding Tesco Bank accounts then please do ask on The Community, or if you have a Twitter account you can Tweet us using the handle @tescobankhelp. Again, we can only answer general questions as security is necessary to confirm account specific information however we can direct you further.

With regards to the changes in Clubcard points, this has only changed for our Credit Card when customers are purchasing out with Tesco stores. Please see the thread in the link below for more details.

https://community.tescobank.com/t5/News/Changes-to-Clubcard-benefits-for-credit-card-users/m-p/2180/highlight/true#M7

Hope this helps, and if you have any further questions or comments please just add to threads in the community. If there are none with your query please start a new thread again.

Thanks,

Stephen - Customer Care
    Hi VanessaM3,Thank you for your message. Unfortunately writing a letter to TescoBank to sk for help consistently ends up with the letter being handled by the complaints department, which is a long drawn-out and completely unnecessary process. Instead of getting a quick response (which is required), after about a week I receive a letter from the complaints department advising that my complaint is being looked into. If I am lucky I get an actual response after about a month - advising that my complaint has been looked into. I might actually get a response to my original enquiry, if the complaints department can break away from their obsession with navel gazing. Take for example TB writing to me a few weeks ago advising that my credit limit was being doubled. I did not request that action and do not want the increase, so I responded to the person who wrote to me to tell them. It wasn't a complaint - but several days later the complaints team wrote - advising that my complaint was being looked into!!! Several weeks later they wrote to advise that my complaint had been dealt with, and that my limit would not be increased. This was a timewasting exercise on TB's part, as was my original leter concerning my inability to use a telephone. Please don't tell me that writing to TB is an acceptable means of conducting business. They simply cannot understand that letters are not necessarily a complaint. TB would save themselves a shedload of money if they would just provide a secure means on a user account thru which enquiries can be made and answered.
    As I am hearing impaired, then I am unable to use the phone.As there is no other way, does this means the Tesco Bank is discriminating against the disabled ?