Late payment charged when Direct Debit was set up

I recently received a new Tesco credit card and transfered a balance onto it. I set up a Direct Debit which stated that the first payment would be made on 13th February. As this date was some weeks away I felt that there was sufficient time for the Direct Debit to be set up and at no time was I instructed to make a manual payment for the first month.I received an apologetic text from Tesco today advising that the payment had not gone through and the text explained that this is likely due to the DD not being set up yet.The text also advised that I had three days to make the payment so I have just logged into my account and paid it. However I am rather surprised to discover that I have been charged a late payment fee of £12! GIven that it appeared that the Direct Debit had been set up for 13th February, I was not advised to make a manual payment and today's text message suggested that I had three days to make a payment I am very annoyed about this charge and would expect it to be waived. Thank you.
  • 3 Replies

Former Community Manager
    Hi I'm sorry to hear that you've been charged a fee. Setting up a DD on a credit card would display a pop up message advising on what needs to happen in order to ensure that a payment is collected. This can depend on if there is enough time to set up the DD (which in this case there seems to have been) and if a statement has been generated for this month. If the statement had already been generated then the message would've displayed that a manual payment would’ve had to been made for this month and the DD would be set up from the month after. However, I can look into this if you can click @Tesco-Bank and then at the top right there is a green button that says 'Send Message'. You can send us your DOB and postcode and we can check your account. Please ensure all personal details are sent with a space between each of the characters – L I K E T H I S.

You also have the option to contact us on our Twitter or Facebook pages to discuss this. Alternatively you can give our team a call on 0345 300 3511 (24/7) should you not find this page suitable. I hope this helps.
    Hi I replied to the email I received but cannot now find this. I did not receive a pop up message when I first set up the Direct Debit to advise me to manually make the first payment, I received no message at all regarding this.

Many thanks
    Former Community Manager
    Can you send us a message using the details above so we can check the account ? - Ross-Can you send us a message using the details above so we can check the account ? - Ross