Accessing an old Tesco JISA

Fresh Eyes
    Hello, my - now adult - daughter is trying to access a cash JISA I opened on her behalf many years ago. She is now 23 (and no longer eligible to hold a JISA obviously), but trying to access the Tesco JISA online to convert it into a regular ISA (and ultimately transfer it to another ISA provider) is a nightmare. Can anyone help? Originally, I administered the JISA account for her (I was and continue to be a Tesco Bank customer) but when she turned 18, Tesco took my access to her JISA account away. We have not retained any paperwork other than an old JISA paper statement (Tesco customer services say that they would have sent out a JISA maturity pack when she turned 18 - god knows where that went). We know the name, sort code and account number of the Tesco Bank JISA. Needless to say, my daughter has moved house a few times since but now happens to live at the postal address Tesco have on file for me as well, but she doesn't have any utility bills in her name (they're in mine). She does all her banking online with other providers, with whom she probably hasn't updated her postal address since she left Uni (so she now actually lives at a different address her other banking relationships have on file with her). She tried to log on to Tesco Bank herself but ended up in a doom loop of the web site rejecting her purported attempt to open a new JISA. I called Tesco customer services but they say they can't talk to me about the JISA because I'm not the account holder, and my daughter and I are not usually in the same city so can't call Tesco customer services together (which is what the customer service rep suggested). So, what do we do now? Tesco customer services pointed me to https://www.tescobank.com/media/7e83...a86/list-B.pdf but which of the documents does she need to send to Tesco? And to what postal address? And is there an additional List A document she also needs to send?
  • 4 Replies

Fresh Eyes
    Just did my very first post but it got tagged (automatically?) with a tag that has nothing to do with the contents of my post. How can I select and apply more apt tags for my prior post?
    Your Community Expert
    @dieter_stein Hey there, thanks for getting in touch!

I'm sorry to hear about this issue you and your daughter are having.

Is your daughter able to call us directly to speak with the Savings team? Alternatively, she could create an account here and send us a private message and we'll try to locate the account and take it from there.

Did they specify why you'd need to call together? Also, did they say why they needed documents posted? If it's to prove her address, then we'd need a utility bill/statement.

I've merged both of your threads together. We handle the tags. We do have an auto-tag feature which is triggered by the content of the post, but sometimes these are inaccurate. I've updated them now.

If you need to ask a question about a Tesco Bank product, you can make a post in Help & Support here

Also, feel free to Introduce Yourself
    !
    Fresh Eyes
    @ChristopherP thank you for your swift reply. This suggestion of yours sounds perfect: “she could create an account here and send us a private message and we'll try to locate the account and take it from there.” But forgive my ignorance, how does one send you a private message? I had a look around the community site but couldn’t see the option. Otherwise I would have sent you a photo of my daughter’s most recent JISA paper statement (dated Dec 2023) which Tesco addressed to the postal address where she now actually lives (my flat, ergo the same postal address as mine). As I mentioned in my earlier post, she doesn’t have a utility bill with that address on it, because they’re all in my name. Thank you!
    Your Community Expert
    @dieter_stein You can send a private message by clicking here. We aren't able to accept pictures here though, I'm afraid. If you can ask your daughter to register and private message, we'll do our best to help 😊